- Why Poodles do this – separating myth and fact
- If eating feces is dangerous
- Medical conditions that can trigger coprophagia
- A list of tips and home remedies products to stop coprophagia, along with how well these do or do not work.
Why Poodles and Other Dogs Eat Feces
Is it Dangerous for a Poodle to Eat Feces?
Getting sick from eating cat poop: In household where there is a Poodle and a cat/s, this brings about a whole new issue of the Poodle eating the cat’s poop. After all, it is usually there in the litter box and very accessible to a dog.
Medical Conditions that can Cause Coprophagia
Exactly How to Stop a Poodle from Eating Feces
- Animal Digest: As with fat, is particularly bad if the animal is not specified.
- Animal Fat: Only when the ‘animal’ is not named. In these cases, it can be ANY animal including diseased, dying, road kill, euthanized animals, etc.
- Beef Tallow
- Brewers Rice
- Byproduct – Any ingredient with byproduct, including chicken, beef byproduct, etc. This refers to body parts unfit for human consumption with includes necks, feet, bones, intestines, eggs, genitals, etc.
- Cereal Food Fines
- Corn bran
- Corn Distillers
- Dried Grains with Soluble
- Feeding Oat Meal
- Glutens: Corn or wheat gluten
- Hulls – Any ingredient with ‘hulls’: Oat, peanut, rice hulls, etc.
- Meal – Any ingredient with ‘meal’: Soybean, fish, corn, liver, meat & bone, meat, blood, pork, poultry meal, etc.
- Phosphoric Acid
- Potato Product
- Soybean Mill Run
- Soy Flour
- Wheat Mill Run
- Propyl Gallate
- Blue 2
- Red 40
- Yellow 5
- Yellow 6
★★Pineapple– This is one of the fruits that a Poodle can safely eat. It contains a good amount of manganese and vitamin C. It is high in sugar, however the fiber content of pineapple makes it digest slowly, thus in moderation it is just fine to give to a dog.
Some claim that the papain causes feces to taste really bad, however this is not proven and it is most likely its digestive qualities that produces positive results.