After giving your Poodle a bath, the brushing and drying process will be combined. One cannot happen without the other. If you allow the Poodle’s hair to dry naturally it will over curl, can become frizzy and most likely will quickly become a big, matted mess. Alternatively, if you brush a dry coat, you can destroy the Poodle’s hair, as it will create terrible split ends and cause quite a bit of damage.
It is suggested to invest in one or two high quality towels for your Poodle that are made with either 100% Egyptian cotton or 100 % American pima cotton.
Using a Hair Dryer
The pros of using a blow dryer on a Poodle include:
- Speeding up the drying process
- That faster time drying time will help leave-in products stay on the coat as opposed to possibly rubbing off
- It allows you to lift and ventilate the hair to make it look proper
- A high velocity dryer will help make the Poodle’s coat smoother (particularly if a quality leave-in product is used)
- If allowed to air dry, the coat can be curly, kinky and difficult to scissor
- Possible heat damage if held too close or if the wrong appliance (non-ionic dryer) is used
- While it will dry the coat faster, this is an extra grooming task that some owners feel that they do not have time for; though again if the right appliance is used it only adds an extra 5 to 15 minutes depending on the size of the Poodle.