- Puppy Coat VS Adult Coat
- Is a Poodle Really Hypoallergenic
- Issues that can Cause the Coat to Thin
- Issues that can Cause the Coat to Fall Out
Puppy coat VS Adult Coat
Hair Loss with Female Poodles
Coat / Hair Problems with Poodles
- Red Mange (when your Poodle has an allergic reaction to microscopic mites that live on all dogs, this causes patches of hair loss)
- Allergies from commercial dog food additives, dog shampoo and everything in between – intense itching can cause a dog to scratch so severely that hair is lost and scabs form
- Sebaceous Adenitis – This is an inherited medical issue that causes the coat to thin out or completely fall out, that can be stopped if all breeders test for SA before breeding dogs
- Castration responsive Dermatosis – A hair loss in young male Poodles that begins in the groin area and can spread over the body.
- Hypothyroidism – This causes the coat to become excessively thick and have an abnormal texture
When Hair Does Not Grow Back
Important General Care for the Poodle’s Coat
It is best to choose a brand that also contain PABA ultraviolet sunscreen to protect the Poodle from excessive ultraviolet radiation when your dog is outside. These conditioners contain protein to help rebuild and restructure the coat by bonding to the shaft of each individual hair. They help to add body to thin coats and improve its appearance and manageability.